Friday, March 2, 2012

Lit Graphics

Ok, I admit it. I'm more than a little excited about the opening of the movie The Avengers this May. What does that say about me? Yeah. Deep down I'm still a comic book fanboy at heart. 

I would go on to say that reading comics faithfully as a kid through young adult taught me some great lessons about visual storytelling and design. Hell, I still pick them up from time to time and there's some great new works that expand on some of the traditional conventions--it has become a real art form.

I'm glad that Norman Rockwell Museum realized this as well, and decided to mount the 2007 exhibition LitGraphic: The World of the Graphic Novel. I had the chance to work on a video for the exhibit, and it was a great thrill. If you missed it at the Rockwell, the show is now touring and will open at the Munson Williams Proctor Art Institute in Utica, New York, this Sunday. In addition to my video, check out the amazing Lynd Ward's Gods' Man, a beautiful series of wood engravings that were used to illustrate a wordless picture book... back in 1929! 

I might try and attend tomorrow's opening, and will see about blogging more about the subject. In the meantime, here's a clip with two of the exhibited artists, whose work I was very pleased to learn more about: Mark Kalesniko (Alex, Mail Order Bride) and Marc Hempel (Sandman, Breathtaker, MAD Magazine). I used music in the video from Marc's band, as well as from his colleague Mark Wheatley. Zap! Biff! POW!

No comments:

Post a Comment