Sunday, March 4, 2012

House Cleaning

Ok, I'm on a tear this afternoon, using some of my old shelving and storage units to help organize our cohabitation. It's not even spring, but things are feeling good! I could keep going like this all day, but I probably should stop and get some of my other work in order.

Speaking of work, my buddy/poet Darian Dauchan will be performing his new piece Obamatry this afternoon at 1 p.m., at the Bowery Poetry Club in New York City. The performance is what he calls a "spoken word remix," collecting many of the poems he has created, that document Obama's presidency. Adding to that mix, he will be using several of the "chiefly commanding" visuals I have created over the years for the Spoken Word Almanac Project, where I serve as multimedia designer. The afternoon event is free, but donations are being accepted for a Kickstarter campaign for Dauchan's hip hop poetry musical Death Boogie, which he is attempting to share with the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. If you can't make today's performance, you should be able to stream it live at www.bowerypoetrylive.com

On a political note, I was watching Meet The Press this morning, and I swear it's a miracle that anything gets done in Washington. Some of the bantering is so petty, and this latest controversy over the funding of contraception by insurance companies is infuriating. I think Al Franken was spot on when he declared: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot." Go ahead and have a public discourse, but keep your sexist comments out of it. Oh, I better get the visuals ready... I'm sure one of the SWAP poets has already started working on this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment